Friday, January 11, 2013


Paleo Tips: Snacks
One of the first things I noticed when I went Paleo was that I was hungry a lot more often.  I'm not complaining, considering how much I enjoy eating!  But, what was there to snack on?  With no gluten, dairy, or legumes I thought there was NOTHING I could eat at snack time.  Standard go to snacks like chips, crackers, popcorn, cheese...all banished from my diet...The struggle was re-training myself on what a "snack" was.  

Besides the obvious fresh fruits and veggies, dried fruits and nuts are ideal snacks.  These delicious bites satisfy me between meals.  Trader Joe's has by far the best selection of Paleo friendly dried fruits and snacks.  Most brands add sulphur and sugars to the dried fruit to make them look better (sulphur helps retain the color) and sweeter, so make sure to read the ingredients on all of the packaging before making your selections.  

These are some of my favorite go to snacks from Trader Joe's:

just mango slices
organic turkish apricots
dried white peaches
organic banana chip (these have cane juice as a sweeter)
almonds in the shell (roasted/salted)
new zealand dried apple rings

Another great source for dried fruits and nuts are local co-op markets.  They offer a wide selection in their bulk sections.  Some of my favorites:

California


Wisconsin

For those of you in southern cali, Sprouts Markets are also a great source for bulk snacks.

Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment